Simple Web Proxy v1.0
Use Simple Web Proxy to let your laptop (or other device) connect to the internet through your BlackBerry®!
In order for your laptop (or other device) to connect to your BlackBerry® you will need both devices to be on the same network. So if your BlackBerry® support ad hoc WIFI networking you can connect it through wifi to, for example, your laptop and allow your laptop to connect to the internet through your BlackBerry®!
How to use it:
1. First you need to get your BlackBerry® and the device on the same network. So connect them to the same WIFI network or connect them to each other with an ad hoc WIFI connection.
2. Start the application and open the settings page
3. Scroll down and change the listening connection to WIFI by using the select button (already default)
4. Change the getting data connection to, for example, your BIS, BES, TCP, WAP, WAP2 connection which is connected to the internet. This connection will be used to retrieve the data for the connected user.
5. Save the settings and click the “Proxy address” button of the application and remember the ip and port number
6. Start the proxy server by pressing the “Start Server” button
7. Now add the proxy address for your browser on, for example, your laptop. For Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer see steps 7. a., 7. b. and 7. c. In case you have another device or browser search the internet on how to connect through a proxy server
7. a. Start Firefox--Tools--Options--Advanced--Network--Connections--Settings and select the “Manual proxy configurations” and set the HTTP-Proxy field to the ip address from step 2 and the port to the port mentioned in step 2. Save and exit the options.
7. b. Start Chrome--Settings button--Options--Advanced options--Change proxy settings-- LAN Settings and select the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” and set the address field to the ip address from step 2 and the port to the port mentioned in step 2. Save and exit the options.
7. c. Start Internet Explorer--Tools--Internet Options--Connections--LAN Settings and select the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” and set the address field to the ip address from step 2 and the port to the port mentioned in step 2. Save and exit the options.
- Proxy server for HTTP GET and POST requests (so HTTPS will not work)
- Set the port of the proxy server, default is port 8080
- Filter the user agent header to prevent detection of the proxy
- Filter the refer header to prevent website from knowing your browsing history
- Keep the backlight on when the server is running
Possible problems you can encounter (but probably will not):
- When you get an error stating “Port in use” it means another application is using the proxy server port at that moment or Simple Web Proxy has been quit while there still was a connection. When you wait a moment or reboot your device the port should be free again, however, you can also change the port on the settings page and use the server directly
- If you get an error stating “Tunnel failed” it means something is wrong with your connection. It could be that your BlackBerry isn’t connected anymore or that your device just lost the connection for a few seconds.
OS 4.5.0 or higher
Proxy, proxies, http, protocol, get, post, hypertext transfer protocol, tether, internet tethering, share internet, connect laptop, internet sharing, internet tethering, forward, forwarding, share proxy, proxy server